Monday, January 23, 2006

Obsession

email to You Know Who:

Tra la la. Quarter past eleven. That is like the beginning of an evening to you, isn't it? But to me it is bedtime. With a new and delicious Spidey book! Honestly this is amazing... I almost want to get you reading Spideys. I made Amy read them all. I think she likes it. I think. Oh this one made me gasp with shock within three pages. I follow two comics: Ultimate and Amazing. Amazing is the official story (in fact, all of the other titles are official too... so I don't mean official I mean... main... er... principal?) and Spidey is late twenties, married and currently, and rather worryingly, sick. I mean really sick. I am petrified for him... it fills me with dread. I think they are really going to do it. Really going to make him... less super. There is a new costume you see. And it is designed by Tony Stark who designed his own Iron Man suit because he lost the ability to walk and it... you know... walked for him. Kind of thing. So... yes. Worried.

But Ultimate... well, it was launched approximately the same time as the first film. Well, a bit earlier. And it is the retelling right from the start. But updated for the 21st century. Because the original is rather naff. So instead of being a photographer, he does the webpage for the daily Bugle. And Aunt May isn't doddering but she is a bit of an old hippy... anyway. There is a point. and it is that it isn't just a retelling. You think you know the story. It plays out similarly. But then it turns and does something that wasn't in the original. And it is such a shock. Such an awesome shock. So one major crime-lord villain is called Silvermane. And he is plotting in the opening pages of my new book. And on page three he gets killed. That was shocking. Oh and then there is laughter as Spidey does wisecracking and he then makes a comment on the whole "Spider-man: No more" thing which is one of those huge phrases. The final page of issue 50. A sentinel moment. And rightfully picked up and used well in Spidey 2. And also used in the recent cartoon (which I will force you to watch one day... I mean... lend to you). So in this book he says "Peter Parker: No more". It's that kind of turning things on their head that makes this series great. He is skipping school and shunning MJ and spending more time as Spidey which is great as lots of gorgeously huge pictures of Spidey adorn the pages. And it is playing with the Black Cat story. Black Cat is Spidey's girlfriend. I think he only gets one really as normally PP gets the girls and Spidey just saves them... but Cat falls for Spidey. Anyway, I love Cat and her interactions with the official spidey. This one is different though because Cat is about 10 years Peter's senior. But she doesn't know that. And kisses and flirts anyway. And Peter seems delightfully caught up in her.

1 Comments:

At 6:52 PM, Blogger skittledog said...

Well, as I deleted it from the email (because really...I can't just leave that much text in and how can I respond to any of it without sounding utterly dumb?), I'm glad it's got its little chance at posterity here.

Crazy girl.

*grins*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home