Sunday, October 02, 2005

Can't take the sky from me

Posted today on the Board. There are SPOILERS. I can't be bothered to black them out. You have been warned.

Serenity

Wow.

It was everything it could have been. That isn't to say that it is perfect- the large cast and sweeping plot that works well in a tv show don't work so well in a movie. But that just makes it even more astounding that it works at all. Somehow they do manage to recreate the back-story in a not too clumsy way and all the past relationships (although I note that Inara was just a mysterious lady with a thing for Mal and poor Book never rekindled his friendship with Jayne and speaking of Jayne, his character was a little different in that he checked that the crew was buckled in before he was and his River-fear wasn't as strong).

So in answer to emano, it is easy enough for someone to jump in. But you won't already be involved with the characters. You won't immediately fear for them and cry with them...

And boy did I cry for Wash. I wouldn't have minded if the ending was a tad more sentimental to be honest! A few tear-jerking moments to fully purge me of my grief would have been great. I needed to bawl and the action and very real fear for the rest of the crew (and the rest of the franchise to be a tad more selfish!) wouldn't let up and let me.

So the start of the film felt a tad drawn out with explanation of the story so far (particularly the long Simon/Mal conversation) but it quickly became a fast-paced and high-larious action-fest with hi-jinks and misbehaving a-plenty. The audience though small (it was the morning... normal people do not go to the cinema in the morning) laughed long and hard- the biggest laugh going to Kaylee's battery comment.

The crux of the film was in my opinion a little weak. As the Bad Guy said, revealing that the Alliance Parliament created the Reavers by accident really won't harm anyone. As far as sticking it to the Alliance goes, it really wasn't worth it. Kind of like the end to Angel to be honest. It isn't even that horrific for an audience viewer. Far better that they would be created on purpose. But anyway... I was emotionally caught up more than Zoe appeared to be at Wash's death *sob* and so worried for the rest of them. The very ending was done well with Kaylee and Simon getting together but just for sex- I feared that Simon was going to get into a long poetic speech about love at one point but Kaylee turned it around into something a tad more believable. Though I do wonder at the drop of the incest idea. Not even a flicker of guilt on Simon's part that his true love was not a part of his new relationship (though she clearly was, hee hee). It was fitting that River should pilot the ship she once became and the very ending felt good and right and it ended on a laugh. Which is the best way to end. Personally I would have liked to see Jayne get some or at least be in his bunk but I accept that some cast members had to take a back-seat or the ending would go on forever.

I think that is all I wanted to say. It has taken me longer than I thought to say it all (okay, mainly because I was talking on the phone at the same time). After seeing Serenity I was a little depressed so I went to see Corpse Bride which was a good pick-me-up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home