Tuesday, October 24, 2006

The Goodbye

Day 9.

I awoke to see Q still clasping the torch Amy let her borrow. She had climbed into bed to discover that there was nowhere to put it and was worried that if she let it go, it would roll off the bunk and fall. I am not sure whether this was related to her holding that object all night, but apparently Q had great David Tennant dreams that night. Indeed, Amy said that she noticed something odd as Q was rocking the bunk making her quite seasick.

Moving swiftly on, daisy and I were leaving that day and Amy was moving to a more central and cheaper hostel. The three of us packed up and biped and Em dragged their bags into our room to take over the vacated bunks. There was more bunk shaking but with laughter this time as sus read the Joss Whedon comic. It then got passed onto Q and finally Em before we were ready to go to breakfast. I grabbed a couple of Em’s Wolverine comics and read one at Dempsey’s. I had a larger breakfast this time- a delicious omelette with potatoes and toast.

We grabbed our bags and checked out of the hostel by eleven and wondered what to do next. We ended up back at South Station investigating the luggage check-in facilities. We stood there and realised that even if we checked in our bags, we had nowhere to go. It was pouring down with rain. Kind of at a loss, we just planted ourselves at a couple of tables in the station and bought hot drinks. Conversation ran from stilted to hysterical as we all felt the end approaching. The impending flight and separation from these great friends of mine made me grumpy and I doubt I was much fun but all the entertainment was provided for by Q and then sus, both crying with laughter.

We posed for one last group photo at the station and went down to the T where daisy and I caught the Silver line (actually a bus route) to the airport. My terminal was not the same as daisy’s so we parted on the bus. It was quite an anti-climax really. After over a week of songs and laughter, it ended without a big finale. Without a final song, without a dance, without a moral or punch line, we parted ways. There was no dragon to fight or school bus to commandeer but on the plus side, maybe there will be another season, another time to recapture the magic that was holidaying with Hobblings.

3 Comments:

At 7:20 PM, Blogger skittledog said...

You didn't seem grumpy to me - in fact you amused me by realising for me why the bookshop area had so many kids' books about trains...

Did anyone get a finale-like ending? Biped and I parted in a busy corridor at Kings Cross, both semi-comatose with tiredness. But hey - Q cried for you two leaving. That's gotta count for something.

My verification has jjj at the end. Heh.

 
At 7:35 PM, Blogger keppet said...

Q is such a softie.

 
At 7:38 AM, Blogger daisy said...

Maybe we should have sung on the bus, Kepp.

Even though we did nothing that day, I still had a good time. Right up until the goodbye part. But parting is such sweet sorrow, and all that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home